PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Introduction Through the Windshield

Luckily, our sponsor had brought my engineer's new MSgt to greet us at the airport...and bring another vehicle.  After loading everything up, my Angel and I went with our sponsor and my engineer went with his MSgt.  Heading out of the airport, I was introduced to my new home in fast forward!!!


Speeding and weaving through traffic, our sponsor talked a mile a minute as she zipped through crazy traffic patterns that made NO sense to me at all!  Discreetly looking over my shoulder, I looked at my Angel in the backseat.  Taking a deep breath, I looked out the window at the world that was flying by.  My sleep debt was definitely having a hay day with my perception!

I was MESMERIZED by the bright lights and chaos that I saw outside.  The world, despite being so late at night, was alive, vibrant, and full of color.  Markets were still active and teaming with people.  Because the area we were in was both religious and secular, I could see women in western dress shopping shoulder to shoulder with women in tribal dress and veils.  The anxiety that I had felt during our planning for the move was lessening as intrigue and fascination took over.

Honestly, I do not remember much of what came out of our sponsor's mouth.  I vaguely remember hearing "lodging" and "two bedrooms,"  but that was about it.  All I wanted at that point was to collapse into a bed and let my body melt into the mattress.  I was thankful, beyond words, that she was able to procure a "Pet Room" for us.  Our Nutmeg would be sleeping with us that night!

Arriving in the village that our new base was named for, I saw shops of all kinds lining the main thoroughfare.  Carpet shops were EVERYWHERE!!  I saw a few custom furniture shops, a gorgeous crystal shop, restaurants, massage parlors, beauty parlors, clothing shops, numerous bars, and tattoo parlors.  Chuckling to myself, I recognized an Airmen Trap when I saw one!  A few minutes later, I saw our new home to my left.

Finally arriving at our next duty station, I was surprised to see local national military manning the gates.  Honestly, their "Military" foreignness struck a chord with me.  At that point, sleepless fog and all that goes with it, I understood.  I understood completely.  We were guests here.  Going through the gates on my engineer's orders, past sandbagged gun emplacements, I gulped and prayed.

Our lodging was FANTASTIC!!  Upon stepping foot through the door, we discovered that there was already a litter box set up for Nutmeg along with food and water bowls.  Freeing her from her confines, she cautiously set forth to explore her new surroundings.  Looking in the frig, we were thrilled to see the basics waiting for us.  Calling it a night, we collapsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Designer Blogs