PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Final Farewell - End of One Chapter...Beginning of Another

On the morning of December 5th, we drove through driving snow to the airport one last time.  The only personal belongings we would have until our household goods were delivered were packed in our suitcases and carry ons.  I remember turning around in my seat to look at my Angel in her carseat and Nutmeg in her carrier.  Bags were tucked into the floorboard.  Excited and nervous, we left our first base for the last time.

The day we flew out, it was -65F outside.  The deadly cold went through all of our layers.  I felt a strong sense of relief that we were leaving the cold behind.  While I loved the people, the constant cold just made my body and soul ache.  I was physically and emotionally ready to be done with it.  My engineer rushed us in and then went back out to bring in the baggage.

It wasn't until he was hauling in the luggage from the car that I realized that we were going to have a heck of a time on this journey: six checked bags, 6 carry ons, one large kennel (for if the EU required Nutmeg to be checked into the baggage hold), a car seat, a folding stroller, and Nutmeg in her small carrier.  With absolute dread, I closed my eyes and told myself that we only had to change flights 4 times...with multiple Customs check points.

Just as I was working to steady my nerves, my best friend and her husband walked through the doors to see us off.  She had been there for me when my Angel was born, and there she was again, when I needed a friend who would smile and tell me that it would end before we knew it. You see, sometimes you just need someone to lie to you!  A good friend will help transport you to a fairy tale place where everthing in life is beautiful when you just need a break from the reality that has landed on your dinner plate.  For a very short hour, she did just that...and gosh, did I need it.

The excitement built up to the point of explosion when the security check call rang out through that very small airport.  Gathering ALL of our "Stuff", we bid farewell to people that I really wanted to just take with us.  After having put so much into creating connections, it felt like an atrocity to say goodbye.  I have NEVER gotten used to it.  It is with a lot of sadness that I continually bid people I love goodbye.  Going through the security check point, I turned and waved farewell...wishing that I could take it back and have it be a hello.

After waiting for an hour for the boarding call, we laboriously made our way to our seats.  My face burned with embarrassment over the amount of luggage we had.  I worked really hard on focusing on the fact that this is what my family had to live on for who knows how long.  I had always been a very light traveler, so the insane amount of baggage rubbed against my grain like sandpaper.

After putting everything where it belonged, including Nutmeg under the seat in front of me, I sat down and took one last look out the window.  Seat belts fastened and everything stowed, our plane took off, leaving the Great White North far behind.




3 comments:

  1. " I turned and waved farewell...wishing that I could take it back and have it be a hello." truer words have never been written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life would be perfect if we could take all the people we grow to love with us....

    ReplyDelete
  3. "..sometimes you just need someone to lie to you!"
    I'm seriously thankful for those people at those times...
    km

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Designer Blogs