PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Children are very, very precious in Military society.  They bring a sweet breath of fresh air to an environment that, due to a 10 year war, is stressed and, at times, forgets the innocence outside the wire.  Their free spirits bring lightness and laughter to our world.

When our lovely daughter was a wee one, we went to a Going Away for a friend who was separating from the military. She had found the love of her life in a good man.  Up to that point, she had been a single parent to two very bright, energetic children who were the reason for her entering the military.  She loved them dearly and provided a good life for them. It was with joy that we went to her Going Away to wish her a wonderful future.

Our daughter, though only a year old, had been to several Military events at this point.  It is with a good dose of fear and trepidation that I prepare my children to attend military functions.  While everyone says that they are wonderful, I know how quickly situations can spiral into a humiliating oblivion. Being the good mother that I am (ie scared spitless to make a scene at the front of the room), I had taken a seat at a table toward the back. With great relief, my daughter and I were welcomed warmly by the NCOs there.  She did what she still does best: she flirted shamelessly with every single uniform there and made herself the belle of the ball (at our table).  I felt like I was walking on ice the whole entire time.

After a long string of uniforms taking the mike to offer both their memories and well wishes, the commander took his turn.  This commander had a way of alienating his audience.  At every turn, regardless of what the occasion was about, he always shifted the spotlight to be about himself.  Having sat through many such events, the whole room knew what was coming.  Looking around, I watched people settle in for a long winded speech that had nothing to do with the person who was leaving. It was ten minutes into the speech that it happened.

My angel made her presence known.  Standing with her little feet on my legs and bouncing around, she started blowing raspberries with all her might!  Louder and louder she got, bouncing with all her might.  Preparing to stand and take her out, the Staff Sgt. next to me smiled, leaned over, and told me, "Stay...she is expressing all of our feelings!"  My mortified self looked around the room and saw smiles playing on lips everywhere.  At about that time, as I was rising to leave the room, the commander said, "I guess that tells me I am done!"






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Designer Blogs