PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Local Flavor

One thing that I adore about being connected with the military is the introduction to so many different cultures and sub-cultures.  The diversity that military families are exposed to is amazing.  While some cultures take a lot of adjustment and mindful living, others are easy to assimilate into.  The Great White North was a delightful beginning to this ever adjusting lifestyle that would become our own.

On our drive north from St. Louis, we were first shown the strong, resilient people who called the Great White North home.  Over the handful of years that we were blessed with living there, we would see that they were so much more.  While being strong, they were compassionate and warm.

Those who settled in the Great White North were of Scandinavian descent.  The town close to our base held their cultural heritage in high regard, which made living in the area a delight!  The people were close to their roots and cherished their rich history and customs.  Like a handful of areas in the United States, they celebrated their connection to the old country with pride and enthusiasm.

Every year, they held an annual festival that brought the Old World to America.  Artisans, musicians, and royalty would make the trek to the New World to mingle with their distant cousins.  It was with delight that my little family went to our first NorskHols Fest.

If you ask my engineer what he loved the most about living in the Great White North, his face will break out in a huge smile and he will exclaim, "Viking on a Stick!"  I will never forget when he had his first encounter with this sinful pleasure.  I had traveled south to attend my brother's wedding.  It was my engineer's birthday and he had gone to NorskHols Fest with some dear friends.  Talking to him that evening, I asked him how he was doing.  With great excitement he told me about all that he had seen, ending the conversation with the highlight of his day...

Viking on a Stick is an alarmingly delicious meat on a stick experience. They take a seasoned ground meat mixture and deep fry it.  Yes, I have to say that a note of panic entered my voice when I asked if he had only one.  With great relief, I heard him answer "yes."  To this day, I think of it as "Coronary on a Stick."

It was also on this day that he had his first introduction to Lutefisk.  Lutefisk is a Norwegian specialty that consist of white fish cured in lye.  My delightful engineer described how a very statuesque woman had offered it to him and our close friends.  The unfortunate part of the experience was that my dear friend is very petite and the plate was at nose level for her.  Evidently, they politely declined.

While Lutefisk left a lot to be desired, Leftsa was a huge hit.  This charming Norwegian flatbread is the perfect platform for anything your heart desires.  Sweet.  Savory.  It doesn't matter.  My engineer LOVED the Cinnamon, Sugar, and Butter.  Naturally.  I really like the Lemon.

Going to NorskHols Fest became an annual experience for us.  My personal favorite was seeing the artisans with their crafts and wares.  Their rich knitting tradition reflected both their love of detail and nature.  The combination of color, texture, and design was breathtaking to me.

During the following years, we would enjoy the experience of learning how to live in various cultures.  Our world view would shift as we grew in understanding of how the US fit into the Big Picture of Global Politics.  Where once it stood in the center of our understanding of the world, it has shifted to being one piece of many.

Just as we experienced Local Flavor in the Great White North, we would do the same around the world, seeing the beauty that lives in all cultures that are not better, not worse, just different from our own.






2 comments:

  1. My favorite one yet!! It sounds so much like our time in Norway, which was our first duty station. You described everything so perfectly from the food and people, right down to our newly expanded view of where the US fits into the Big Picture. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought of you as I wrote it, knowing your love of Norway.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Designer Blogs